Online, 20 Oct. 06

4:16 PM Posted by James Owens

A review of Enhanced Gravity: More Fiction by Washington Area Women, edited by Richard Peabody, at The Pedestal Magazine

What are stories for?
The philosophy-professor narrator of E.J. Levi’s “My Life in Theory," a standout entry in Enhanced Gravity: More Fiction by Washington Area Women, meditates on the role of fiction in the lives of its audience this way: “In class, I often tell my students stories. Stories, I’m convinced, are what we remember, how we learn. Stories, like education, are a species of seduction: seducing students to care about something other than themselves. Drawing them out of their assumptions into a world of surprise." The best work in this book does just that—seduces into a world of surprise that is well worth the time and ticket-price to travel there....

2 comments:

sam of the ten thousand things said...

Enjoyed the review James. Interesting piece.

sam of the ten thousand things said...

I wanted to let you know that I've added a new blog, notebook. That's where I'll post my own poems in-progress. I hope you can visit and comment. Any time. Follow the link on my profile page.

best to you James