Online, 22 Dec. 06

12:20 PM Posted by James Owens


A review of Outside the Green Zone: Poets Respond to the GLBT Cleansing of Iraq
in The Pedestal Magazine

It is not hard to share the outrage that runs like a raw electric current through Outside the Green Zone, a chapbook that collects Atlanta-area poets’ responses to evidence that gay men and lesbians in Iraq are being persecuted and openly killed by militia forces, while the government and U.S. military look on, doing nothing. After all, bigotry against the differently gendered is an issue the importance of which we see played out too often on our own national stage. And maybe it is attractive to see this violence as another layer of indictment against an unpopular war that has long since descended into fiasco....

5 comments:

sam of the ten thousand things said...

This is a great review James. You have Collin Kelly's head spinning.

By the way, have you ever seen Harlan County USA or do you have access to it? If yes, I wish you would write an essay about the film or a review of it for Blue Fifth's Winter 07 film issue. I hope you consider it.

James Owens said...

Sam, I would like to review Harlan County, USA. I have seen it, though it's been years. I'm afraid, though, that I may be able to find it only on videocasette, and I'm restricted to DVDs nowadays.

I'll look for. If Harlan County, USA doesn't work out, would you be interested in seeing something on another film?

Also, when will be winter issue be out?

sam of the ten thousand things said...

If Harlan County doesn't work, I'm sure I'd be interested in other films.

My plan is for the issue to go online in February, the 20th or later.

sam of the ten thousand things said...

Happy holiday season to you James.

sam of the ten thousand things said...

Congratulations James on your selection for the Best of the Net. Wonderful.